OPERATIONS ENGINEER – FAMILY THEME PARK
Salary: £32.5K base + package (see below). Start date: as soon as practicable.
Location: Romsey, The New Forest, Hampshire
Our client’s dedicated Operations Engineering team work tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that the rides and attractions are operational 7 days a week. Specific safety inspections and proactive maintenance all take place daily before the guests begin to arrive. For the remainder of the day the team work together on a variety of remedial mechanical and electrical work which can include other Park equipment or machinery whilst remaining ‘on call’ for any breakdowns, faults or other incidents which may require assistance from the team.
The type and nature of jobs varies according to the time of year and / or the prevailing weather conditions. Some tasks are carried out in the 800m sq. Engineering workshop whilst others can be outside anywhere on the 140 acre site. This is, however, a practical ‘hands on’ role where you will be expected to work either as part of a team under the direction of a senior person or on your own under your own initiative following all the required precautions and safe systems of work.
This position requires a high degree of expertise in the field of engineering so our Client is looking for a minimum level of NVQ3 engineering together with relevant mechanical / engineering experience. Some electrical knowledge / qualifications would also be a definite advantage.
Our client is very open to ex-military applicants – we envisage appropriately qualified NCOs in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers (REME) or RN / RAF equivalent, though other backgrounds may be feasible.
The successful applicant must hold a full driving license and be able to work under pressure in a busy leisure environment. This is a very rewarding and varied position for the right person. The Park currently attracts over one million visitors per year and operates over 60 different rides and attractions.
What you will be doing…
- Adhere to all the Company Health & Safety policies & procedures and safe systems of work.
- Carry out daily/weekly safety inspections on all equipment, rides and attractions and ensure they are in safe working order by 10am for signing over to the Park Operations team.
- Immediate notification to the line manager of any defects or inspection failures in order to ensure that the required rectification work takes place promptly minimizing the ‘downtime’ of any ride or attraction but following the Company’s safety protocols at all times.
- The prompt and accurate recording of inspections noting any remedial work.
- Proactive maintenance, pre-agreed modification and general repair of a wide variety of electrical and mechanical equipment including, but not limited to rides and attractions throughout the Park as necessary.
- Respond to ‘call-outs’ for breakdowns, faults or any other situation that may arise (including multi-department responses) in a prompt and timely manner following Company procedures.
- Use and maintenance of a variety of plant and garden machinery to include diggers, dumpers and ride on mowers plus commercial vehicles.
- You may become involved in general park maintenance work as well as repair and refurbishment of rides and equipment.
- Some work will involve working at height.
- Keep accurate records of works carried out, parts used/ replaced and all other appropriate information associated with the job including photographic evidence.
- Inform the line manager of any low items of stock or parts required.
- Behaviour and presentation should be appropriate for the area and surrounding environment you are in. Be prepared to communicate clearly with any guest and assist with queries they may have.
- Undertake any training both internally and externally that the Company may deem necessary to either enhance working practices or to gain new skills.
You will be required to work a 45 hour week, five days out of seven with weekend and bank holiday working on a rota basis. Hours of work will normally be 7.30 am – 5.00 pm/6.00 pm./7.00pm with half an hour for lunch. However finish/start time may sometimes be later/earlier if a major breakdown or other problem has occurred. Any hours worked in excess of 45 hours per week will be paid at overtime rate.
Package / Benefits
- 28 days paid holiday (including bank holidays) with an additional day of entitlement for each completed year of service – maximum 33 days after 5 years continuous permanent employment.
- Branded Uniform (varies by job role/ department). In addition, any items you are expected to supply should be smart and appropriate. It is your responsibility to keep all items clean, laundered and presentable at all times.
- Company health care scheme.
- Personal pension.
- Group Life Assurance Cover.
- Child care vouchers scheme.
- Complimentary staff tickets.
- Discounted Christmas Attraction tickets.
- Discounted season tickets.
- Staff Discount.
- Free Parking.
- Subsidised food.
- Free drinks.
Interested? Email your CV in Word and a short covering letter outlining your suitability for the job and earliest availability to email@example.com. Deadline Wed 24 Jan, though earlier application may be advantageous.