CARETAKER – INTERNATIONAL POLICY THINK TANK
Location: Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
Salary: £21k base but with free accommodation suitable for a single person or married couple included (all remuneration is due for review)
This well known institution, situated in a magnificent country mansion in beautiful parkland, has specifically asked for a field of high grade, appropriately experienced ex-military candidates to be put forward for this role. It is an excellent working environment. Indicatively you will have held at least a CQMS / SQMS role, possibly an RQMS one and conceivably a QM post.
Your job title is Caretaker and your immediate Line Manager is the House Manager. There will be times when you work directly to the Bursar (a former Army Colonel) and to the Director.
Your main responsibility is the security of the Mansion and its contents, supporting the House Manager in the running of operations, including conferences and events, in the Mansion.
Therefore to this end:
- You are the Fire Warden, acting in support of the Bursar, who is the Fire Marshal. As such you lead on Fire matters. You ensure that the fire and security alarm systems are fully operative at all times, with faults reported to the Bursar at the earliest opportunity, although you have authorisation to contact Broadsword or Pyrotec directly to have faults rectified. You must be conversant with the procedures for contacting both call centres in the event of real or false alarms on either system. Duties include: checking the first aid fire appliances and fire hose reels once a month for serviceability; programming and running, with the Bursar, fire practices and evacuation rehearsals; completing the fire safety maintenance log; and liaison with the local fire brigade and their onsite training visits.
- You are the lead on security matters working to the House Manager for operations in the Mansion or to the Bursar for infrastructure issues. Duties will include: opening up the Mansion at the beginning of each working day and securing it at close of business; changing the door entry key pad combination after each conference and at other times when necessary; and checking internal and external security twice each non-working day.
- You will arrange for routine maintenance of both systems in accordance with the service contracts, particularly with regard to the Mansion’s utility systems (central heating, water tanks and emergency power system). You must be conversant with the location and user operation of the electrical, heating, air-conditioning and plumbing systems in the Mansion and Wings.
- You are the lead on First Aid, which will require: Basic First Aid at Work qualification; acting as first responder to accidents and incidents; equipping and maintaining First Aid kits; maintaining the Accident Book and recording accidents and near misses; and managing, including the booking of courses, the Basic First Aid Work qualifications of the Foundations first aiders.
- In conjunction with Head of Estates, you manage the Green Team’s configuration and re-configuration operations required for conferences and all events. The Team’s responsibilities include providing the luggage-portering force for residential guests.
- You will initiate and manage the procurement and rostering of a new small team of casually employed, but trusted, night-watchmen, during conferences and events where there are guests’ resident in the Mansion.
- Membership of the Health & Safety and Risk Committees. You will also be a core member of the Business Continuity Team and have a key role in the Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Set up and maintain an inventory, and control the issue of, all events support and miscellaneous equipment in the House and immediate environs (AV, mobile furniture, First Aid equipment, gazebos etc).
- Support to Conferences and Events. Save for breaks and rest periods, your presence will be required in the House throughout all conferences and events (Foundation, corporate and charity) to provide direct support to the House Manager, and Bursar as appropriate, including responding to guests’ requests for assistance. Additional hours worked will be paid as overtime. Other duties will include laying out the Library and other conference spaces.
- Driving. You will have some driving duties including the collection of cleaners and cooks as per the daily programme and returning them home at the end of their duty. During these runs, you may be asked to collect supplies for other members of staff. During conferences these tasks are normally carried out by the chauffeur or the Houseman, but you may be required to fill in as necessary.
- Trade Visitors. As far as possible, you should be on hand to accompany tradesman carrying out servicing, issuing passes, and signing work sheets etc. at completion of tasks.
- Utilities. You are to supervise the deliveries and keep records of consumption of oil, gas, and electricity for the Mansion and the outlying properties. Duties will also include quarterly meter readings to record consumption of the Biomass heating system by tenants and service occupants.
- Waste Management. You will be the point of contact for waste management, with a particular focus on coordinating the clearance of the House after conferences and events.
If interested please apply asp to firstname.lastname@example.org with CV in Word plus short covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and earliest availability date.