BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, LAND SYSTEMS
c£70 - £75k base + commission and generous package including car – Chertsey
Start date asp – though identifying the right person is more important than any specific timeframe
This firm is a well established, privately owned systems engineering house with a proven track record for the rapid realisation of demanding defence industry design tasks combined with high quality manufacturing. It needs a new Head of Business Development for its Land side (there is a separate Maritime equivalent). Both posts report to the Head of Marketing.
As a signatory to the Armed Forces covenant, the firm is interested to see what former Officers with a suitable technical background could bring to this role. Points to note:
- Whilst prior Business Development experience is desirable it is not essential, but if this is the case you are likely to have recent Procurement / DES experience, and to know your way around that world.Special Forces experience would also be a positive, since considerable existing business is done in this sphere.
- As well as interfacing with Business prospects you must be more than a simple ‘introducer’: you will be expected to get involved in Bid / Proposal writing – any experience of this (or similar) is useful, as is formal Staff training.
- You are probably high grade Major (SO2) level, and must exhibit the normal Business Development traits of resilience, persistence, sociability, tact and presentational ability: you must be a credible Ambassador for the firm at senior level, with the ability to build Trust based relationships: thus if you give a commitment you must ensure that the Firm delivers on it at a profit.
- Any experience of the product areas referred to below would be useful.
The Spec below is the largely company’s original, but bear in mind the qualifying caveats above if you do not think you are suitable – these have been agreed verbally.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE
The role will be to grow the company’s share of existing markets and successfully position it to expand into new ones. Initially the focus will be on UK Land Sector and Special Projects opportunities in the areas of System Integration, Local Networks, Surveillance, Training and Simulation, expanding to overseas business as the product base expands. To support this activity both domestic and international travel will be necessary.
The development of individual customer strategies is essential, and the successful candidate will need to develop thorough commercial knowledge of the target markets including MoD customers, Prime Contractors, competitors and market budgets. The Business Development Manager will be instrumental in establishing relationships with key decision makers and driving potential opportunities through to contract award.
- Market analysis. Production of capability roadmaps defining how to develop existing business areas and identify future or related programmes
- Key customer relationship management
- The preparation of business cases for potential new opportunities (including investment)
- The responsibility for completion of Pre-Qualification Questionnaires, Invitations to Tender; BID management and team co-ordination in fulfilling this when required
- Participation in the collation of costing/pricing information and presentation to the senior management team
- Maintaining a prospect database
- Providing input to the monthly marketing report and attendance at marketing meetings
- Providing press releases for inclusion on the company website and in the company’s internal newsletter
- Support and attendance at trade shows and exhibitions
- Support to the preparation of marketing material/datasheets etc.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of UK MoD procurement processes and the frameworks under which they work
- Ideally (though see above), Business Development experience within the defence industry, preferably within the Land/Army/Special Projects domain, including selling into UK Primes.
- Formal qualification in a relevant technical discipline, e.g. electronic engineering or mechanical engineering.
- Self-motivated and able to plan and liaise with a number of different organisations; entering into detailed technical and commercial discussions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and be a team-player
- Security cleared or be prepared to go through the security clearance process
If interested apply with CV in Word and short Covering Letter explaining your suitability to the role and earliest availability to email@example.com; deadline 01 June 2018. Early application may be advantageous.