c£65k base + generous package
Leatherhead; with travel to Europe, Middle East and Africa as required
International Professional Services provider of full lifecycle services / capabilities to Government (R&D; testing; evaluation; programme management; operations; maintenance; field logistics).
Authorising Engineers (AE) support the firm’s projects by providing independent internal subject matter expertise review role for MOD projects. The roles will also support services offered to external suppliers.
The firm is actively interested in employing appropriately qualified ex-military in these roles after a number of successful precedents.
- Thorough knowledge of MOD JSP 375.
- Registered as a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Professional Health and Safety Practitioner with experience in the appropriate discipline. In exceptional circumstances a restricted AE Licence may suffice whilst the prospective AE is working towards such registration.
- Minimum of 2 years recent experience of working as an AE, or military equivalent.
- Must be capable of being appointed as an AE by the UK MOD.
- Must be mentally and physically fit and be capable of passing a detailed medical examination.
- Must possess or be capable of obtaining NATO Secret (NS) Security Clearance.
- Must be a trained Authorised Person with operational experience of delivering Facilities Management or other critical services.
- Degree, HND or HNC in a technical or engineering field or similar qualification
- Technical background with respect to relevant disciplines for appointment as an Authorising Engineer
- Suitably qualified and experienced for appointment as an Authorising Engineer in at least one of the following disciplines:
a) Mechanical Systems (Boilers and Pressure Systems, Natural Gas and LPG Systems, Medical Gas Pipeline Systems and Dental Air, and Vacuum Systems)
c) Confined Spaces
d) Working at Height
- High Voltage / Low Voltage
- Confined Spaces
- Working at Height
- NEBOSH or similar H&S qualification
- Experience in verifying safe systems at work
- Must be able to demonstrate a good understanding of UK health and safety legislation and an ability to carry out risk assessments and propose actions for risk control/management
- Experience of working on Government services contracts.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, with ability to liaise with senior client figures.
- Working knowledge of JSP 375, Health Technical Memorandum or other similar standards.
- From a military background.
- Knowledge of airfield operations, Airfield Ground Lighting (AGL) and services would be an advantage.
- Be familiar with NATO, ICAO and ISO terminology.
- Experience of working on operations in austere remote sites or in developing nations
Core Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assessing the experience, training and competence of Authorised Persons; providing recommendations of appointment.
- Providing technical and engineering support to ensure all Authorised Persons are competent to carry out their function, to ensure compliance and succession planning.
- Designing and delivering training and facilitating workshops to ensure Authorised Persons have the necessary level of competence.
- Certification & Training of on-site Authorised Persons (APs).
- Implementation, Administration, Auditing and Monitoring Safe systems of Work associated with Statutory Regulations.
- Carrying out internal or external auditing activities in the role of an Authorising Engineer as per the requirements of JSP375.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, company Health and Safety policies, and related regulations.
- Undertake investigations with respect near misses and accidents, liaising with enforcing authorities where required in the role of an Authorising Engineer.
- Electrical only. Routine inspections (6 monthly & annual) across Electrical (HV & LV) plus other areas of expertise.
- Act as the focal point to the Senior Management within the firm and AP teams in all matters relating to JSP 375 Vol 3.
- Provide the necessary assurances that JSP 375 Vol 3 is being appropriately implemented at site level through the AE Audits undertaken and the Assessment of AP Competence.
Interested? Please apply with CV in Word and short covering letter explaining your fit to your chosen role and earliest availability to firstname.lastname@example.org; deadline Fri 29 June (early application may be advantageous)