CHIEF EXECUTIVE – SECURITY INSTITUTE
£60k + possible incentive scheme geared to membership numbers
Ideally available by mid April 2017
The Security Institute is the premier representative British membership body for security professionals in the UK and overseas. Membership benefits include the provision of security training qualifications as well as promoting networking opportunities, professional development, and advice and support to members. The Institute has administration offices at Nuneaton in Warwickshire, and further information can be found at www.security-institute.org.
Reporting directly to the Chairman, the Chief Executive (CE) will provide strategic direction by leading and managing the work of the Institute and the small salaried administration team of six. The CE will be responsible for business growth and all commercial practices and contracts as well as prioritising all essential work streams reflecting the strategic framework agreed by the Main Board, which comprises Non-Executives.
- The CE will proactively maintain a professional and successful relationship with Institute members and will need to fully understand and be able to explain the advantages of membership of the Institute.
- The CE will take the lead in developing excellent working relationships with all major security sector organisations including but not limited to the Home Office, Police Forces, the Security Industry Authority, the Worshipful Company of Security Professionals and the British Security Industry Association.
- The post holder will be responsible for ensuring the Institute is fully compliant with all legal and financial requirements as well as ensuring robust risk management and governance of the Institute is maintained.
- The CE will need to be confident at delivering presentations at key industry events where the aim is to promote the Institute and the security sector more generally. The applicant will need to be able to demonstrate a passion for the Institute and have a good understanding of the security sector.
- The CE role will encompass all aspects of Institute financial management including budgeting and profit generation. External marketing, membership communication and event management are also key elements of the CE’s portfolio.
Applications from candidates with former military service are actively welcomed, and in addition to sourcing / screening these J1 will be heavily involved in preliminary screening of applicants with other backgrounds. Ex-military are likely to have served at Officer / Warrant Officer level, but beyond this the Board has no pre-conceptions about gender or rank held.
- The successful applicant will have the utmost integrity and will be a proven senior manager with a ‘hands on’ approach to team leadership. Ideally candidates will be already working (or have worked) in the security sector at an executive / managerial level, but this is not essential provided they are prepared to understand / engage with the appropriate issues and have the personality to gain rapid credibility with the membership.
- It will be important for applicants to hold the skills necessary to manage a small administration team and have experience in business processes. They must occasionally be prepared to get their hands dirty with detailed practicalities.
- The post holder must be able to engage effectively with the most senior people in security sector and other relevant stakeholders. The ability to manage, influence and motivate people at all levels of the organisation will be essential to the success of the role. In short, strong networking skills are essential.
- The role will require the applicant to be based within easy access of central London; he / she must be able to travel on a regular basis to the office at Nuneaton.
- Applications will be considered from well qualified individuals who wish to undertake the role on a 3 or 4 day a week basis.
If interested please apply by Mon 20 Feb 2017 with CV in Word plus short covering letter giving your earliest availability date and explaining how you fit the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early application may be advantageous.